A birthday letter for you, my Charlie Boy:
I've been meaning to write you a four-year-old letter for awhile now (three months to be exact). I just haven't been able to get it done. In part, because our lives our very stressful and busy lately. The other part is that you are difficult child to fit into words, even on an expansive digital page. So now, I'm writing your letter at 12:30am on a keyboard that your sister has been systematically destroying. We're missing all the arrow keys and an "a" among other things, so bear with me if we're short a few vowels here.
Charlie, you are larger than life. You have the most enormous spirit and personality crammed into such a small (but remarkably strong) little body. You fill up a room and command attention-without demanding it. As much as I'd like to think that I'm in charge around here, you call the shots. Sometimes it's because you win the battle of the wills, sometimes it's because you're quick on your feet and come up with the most serious and compelling arguments. Other times, it's because you just move so darn fast that even if I want to stop you, it is a lost cause.
You are focused and have your own agenda....all the time. If I'm not ready to leave church, and you are....you leave. And I find you outside examining rocks and climbing the handrails in your galoshes. You are completely unafraid and never intimidated. You march right into unfamiliar situations without a look back. You size up a playground or grocery store in an instant and you're off. You find friends everywhere you go. You chat with everyone, about everything. You use words and phrases that are too big for you. You almost always use them appropriately. Things like, "according to my research" and "this secret agent bottle is indicating that we need to go that way." You're always chatting about things like "technology" and "community" and "navigators".
For someone so focused, you can multitask remarkably well. This is especially true when it comes to picking up those words and phrases, but also, information. Dad told you something about a roadrunner the other day and you nonchalantly corrected him and then expounded a ridiculous amount of information about roadrunners. You aren't one of those child prodigies, but your mind is quick and bright and so funny. You make us laugh constantly. Even when we are exasperated by you, you make us laugh. And you have a really great laugh.
You love to snuggle with me and keep me in sight. You get furious when I go downstairs or outside without telling you. You still love to lay by me and run your fingers through my hair. It is so tender. But, to balance that out, you usually wake me up in the most obnoxious of ways. Growling or blowing on my face e are a few of your personal favorites. You are getting old enough that there are some golden moments when I feel like we are good friends. We laugh at jokes and play together.
Charlie, you are best buddies with your dad. You wait up for him every night and the first thing you do in the morning is jump to the window to find out if he's still home. Every day my blinds are skeewampus and everyday I leave them that way because it reminds me of your love for your dad. And I think that's pretty cute. You say "day-ad" turning "dad" into a two-syllable word. Guess you're channeling Great-Grandma King's Arkansas roots. You and Daddy love to wrestle and talk about your days. You get grouchy if you haven't had enough time with him. You tell everybody how strong he is and about his office. You blow raspberries on his cheek every. single. morning. And you always forget "to do one thing" and we have to run outside when he's headed to work so that you can hug him.
All the kids we know love to play with you, bud. I can't say that I blame them. You are creative and silly and fun to be around. Everywhere we go, you drag a box or a bag or just handfuls of toys and junk. You haul it to the car, then into Nana's house. Before we leave her house, you scamper around collecting your "stuff". I clean up so many messes. I'm trying to figure out the delicate balance of letting you be you and helping you learn the rules (the ones you can't negotiate away). We're letting you experiment and grow, while trying to guide you and keep you safe. It is so much harder than it sounds.
You think through things. You love reason. In fact, we've found that if we want to get anywhere with you, we have to offer you a logical explanation. You're not one for blind obedience. No siree. You try to figure things out and find answers. It is so fun to watch you get older. You're now so much more capable of trying and testing things to get the results you're looking for.
You, Charlie King, are totally and completely adored. The best thing about loving you, is that you give that love right back in the biggest, most brilliant way. I can't even begin to imagine life without you. I can't remember what it was like before we had you....more peaceful, I think. But, nowhere near as fun. Can't wait for another year with you, little buddy-o.
Love You Forever,
Mom
This was beautiful and sweet and perfect. Just perfect.
ReplyDelete