Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Discovery of Lying

Charlie has learned to lie. It has been fascinating to watch those wheels turning, and also kind of horrifying. He mostly fibs about inconsequential things, like telling us he went potty when he's still dancing. 
Yesterday while I was in the shower, I heard Stella run by the bathroom crying. I called to Charlie to find out what had happened.
"There was a stranger in the kitchen" he informed me, "and he bit Stella."
"Charlie, remember how we have talked about telling the truth?" 
"Yeah"
"So was there a stranger in the kitchen?"
"Yes."
"Honey, I need to know what actually happened. Only things you saw."
"Well, I saw a stranger in the kitchen. And he bit Stella. And made her cry."
"Charlie, did you really see a stranger?"
"Well, I heard him"

Now, I give up.

The worst though, was yesterday when we were at my parents he sneaked over to the neighbors house to play with the kids. He knocked on the door and the mom answered. I arrived just in time to see him put his hands around his mouth and whisper dramatically, "One time, my dad kicked me in the face." She was more than a little bit caught off guard.

It was pretty horrifying. 
We had another nice chat about what it means to tell the truth.
Nothing could have prepared me for parenting this child.

No comments:

Post a Comment