Charlie's been potty trained for a few weeks now and it's wonderful. I was very worried about this stage of parenting after all the horror stories I've heard, but it's been a dream (consisting of poop and pee, but a dream nonetheless). Several people including my wise mother-in-law gave me the advice not to wait until he was totally ready. My pediatrician told me just to wait until he asked to go on the potty. Tara warned me about a full year of pull-ups.
He seemed like he was ready a few months ago, so we bought a potty and underwear. I would have him go on the potty before baths and while he enjoyed the celebration, he really preferred a diaper. I would ask him occasionally if he wanted a diaper or underwear. He always told me a diaper, but a few weeks ago he wanted to wear his Diego underwear.
For a few days I let him call the shots on diaper or underwear and he usually wore underwear. I never even bought pull-ups or put on a diaper at night. Once he was physically ready and then decided he was ready, we had no problems. He's always preferred the big potty, so the small one has retained its' status as a stool. He's been fascinated by the whole process and loves sitting all the way back on the potty so he can just sit back and check it all out. It's hilarious. It took a few days to get number 2 on the potty figured out, but it was not too tough. For my own future reference, it also took us a few weeks to work out all the kinks (mainly for mom to remember to take him potty before leaving the house). But even during the learning period it's been pretty easy.
When he would get on the potty in his nightshirts, I would tuck the hem of the shirt down through the neck so it stayed out of the way. He loved that little discovery and said, "mom, I am like a church man!" It took me a few days to figure out that he thought it looked like a tie-like the men wear to church :) Now before he will go potty, he will ask you to make him like a church man.
We've had a handful of accidents and no bed-wetting, but all this bathroom time has sparked some discoveries in the bathroom. I often find him make wet balls of toilet paper in the sink, wrapping himself in toilet paper and a series of other water/toilet paper incidents. He is definitely pleased with himself and still delights in showing anybody who will look what he's created el bano. And I'm so happy about not changing diapers, I gladly check it out.
Yey! So happy he's potty trained! That reminds me, I still have his pants and underwear he loaned to Jovi, I'll bring those back to you :)
ReplyDelete