Cam's mom came to visit us last week. Charlie was so thrilled to have her here. He was giddy from the moment we picked her up, to the moment she left. He kept trying to think of funny things to do for her. On Saturday night, when everyone was out on their Valentines dates, Charlie was eating dinner with his grandma and came up with a new trick.
I had run to the store and on my way home got a phone call from Cam. "Charlie has a pea stuck up his nose, we can't get it out. I think we better call the doctor." I called the doctor to find out who was on call. The doctor on call had gone home. I called the answering service and then the number that they gave me. Nobody answered, so I called them back. They gave me another number, which I called. Got no answer and called the answering service again. This went on for a while. I was not panicked, because Charlie was still in good spirits, but if we had to go to the ER, I was hoping to do it before it was too late. After calling several numbers with no luck, the answering service told me I had to leave a message.
I called the most recent number and left this message for Steve, who I assumed was the on call nurse:
Hello, my name is Whitney King. My 18 month old son, Charlie is a patient of Dr. Glade. He has a pea stuck in his nose. We have already removed two, but can't get the third. I would appreciate some information about how to proceed. Thanks
Steve returned my call almost immediately the conversation went like this:
Steve: Hi. This is Steve...and I'm not a doctor.
Me: I guess they gave me the wrong number. Well, Steve do you have recommendations for peas in the nose?
Steve: I only have a baby. We haven't gotten that far yet.
Me: Heaven help you when you do. Thanks Steve
For about two hours that was the best advice I could get. Then, the doctor finally called me back and laughed at the situation. He said we better go to the emergency room. I assured Cam that it would be pretty routine and he could stay home to finish his lesson, while Deb and I headed off to the ER. I came prepared with pretty much a suitcase full of toys and books. I've been at the hospital with the boy before, and it is not fun. Charlie was happy as a lark when we arrived and very cute with everyone in the ER. It was hilarious to fill out the paperwork. "reason for visit? Uh, pea in the nose"
We got all checked in. Then all the sudden Charlie sneezed. Out came three peas. At that very moment the nurse walked out and called Charlie's name. Deb and I were laughing our heads off. And let's just clarify, that means there were five peas up that one tiny little nostril. FIVE. Amazing. And he couldn't have sneezed at home? I asked the doctor to check him out, just to make sure. All clear.
I so underestimated what parenthood would entail. Love that boy.
I'm still laughing about this story. How it is humanly possible with a nose as small as his to fit five peas up there beats me.
ReplyDeleteBest Valentines day ever. too funny.
ReplyDeleteHahahahahaha-what a talented boy you have! That is so funny whit!
ReplyDelete