Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Lesson Learned

Last week, I thought I was the best mother ever. My baby boy, was not only completely adorable, but also pretty much perfect. He rarely cried, made strangers smile and his family act completely ridiculous just to make him laugh. He ate every night at 7:00 pm and was sound asleep in bed by 7:30pm. He slept peacefully through every night and woke up happy as a lark at 6:30am on the dot. (We still haven't gotten back to the full 12 hours after that blasted daylight savings shenanigan) He played happily throughout the day and took four naps. He had decided that he no longer liked to be rocked to sleep, but just wanted to be wrapped up in his blanket and put in his crib. He would then fall asleep within seconds.
Then Saturday came.
He now fusses all day, refuses to sleep in his bed, refuses to sleep at all, but still manages to make strangers smile and his family act ridiculous.
I'm told that he's teething. It seems to be true seeing that the only thing that makes him happy is gumming his hands or a cold carrot. Bless his heart. And bless his heart for keeping up one good habit of sleeping through the night (knock on wood).
Guess I will have to retract my self-nomination for mother of the year award. I was so sure it was my good mothering that had created such a lovely schedule and a pleasant baby.
I hate teething.
I also hate thrush and dying my baby's mouth purple every night to try and get rid of it.
I still think he's pretty much perfect.

5 comments:

  1. Poor boy! It sounds like you are still doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not excited for teething. It's like you finally get into a schedule and then everything changes. Sorry about the thrush, that's hilarious about dying his mouth purple:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, our lives are like mirroring each other! Matthew had a perfect week last week and then it was Monday that was awful - you're lucky though because Matthew woke up in the middle of the night which he hasn't done since he was 1 month old! People say he's teething too, but I don't know! Also, same situation with the 12 hours of sleep... I miss that extra hour since day light savings! Matthew sleeps 7:30-6:30 too! It's nice to hear someone else is going through it! Wish we lived closer and could get together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your blog and that i found you on facebook! it looks like you and your little family is doing so well! charlie is so adorable!
    becki

    ReplyDelete