Monday, August 24, 2015

Summit

I have so much to write about-like adding a child to our family for one, but I want to write down what's in my heart really quick.
Cam's been gone this weekend to the Summit Series. It's a super exclusive, invitation only retreat for people who are interesting, influential and otherwise important. He's meeting and bonding with incredible thought leaders and the rich and famous. It's an incredible experience. It's surreal to know these people who have been so far outside our little world. It's also been wonderful because Cam went with the intention of building his business and making connections, but primarily to share the gospel. He's apparently now known as "The Mormon" and has had dozens of conversations about the church and gospel principles. He's talking about families and God and people are constantly drawn to him, or rather to the light of Christ and the Spirit that is with him. He's so overwhelmed and grateful for the opportunity to be an example and an instrument.
When he called me a few minutes ago, he said that people were pouring into his condo to party-filling the place with music and beer. As we talked, he was tearing up while sharing his testimony with me. I was folding clothes at 1 am in the living room, surrounded by army men and beads strung onto strings by a determined little girl. There's spilled milk on the table, spilled juice on the floor and piles of dirty laundry.
It's important for Cam to be where he is. I think it's the beginning of the realization of his plans and God's plans for him and for our family. When we talked about business or a career he used to say that he just wanted to be in a place where he could "influence the influencers." I think that's happening. And I couldn't be more grateful to be here at home surrounded by my little sweeties.
I'll be woken up in a few short hours by Henry sucking on his fists and thumping his legs against the cradle. I'll pick him up in the dark, make him a bottle, change his diaper and fall asleep while I feed him in the rocking chair. I'll burp him and swaddle him and put him back in bed. I'll fall asleep and wake up to Charlie climbing into bed next to be to snuggle and play with my hair. Henry will wake again at 6:30 and once again I'll make a bottle and snuggle him close while he eats. Then Charlie will be awake. I'll send him potty and make him breakfast and turn on a show for him to watch while I sleep for a little while longer. I'll wake up to Stella tapping on my forehead or snuggling into bed next to me. She'll want "sugar toast" and milk for breakfast and she'll have to pour it herself.
And so it goes. And it is so perfect. They'll fight and hit. They'll complain about turning off their show to do chores. They'll cry and possibly tell me I'm the worst mom ever, but I wouldn't choose to be anywhere else.
 I'm so grateful to be with these incredible little people, trying to teach them the gospel and prepare them to do good in the world. We stayed at my parent's house until after dark tonight with Charlie and Stella riding their bikes up and down the street, while I held Henry. They had the biggest smiles on their faces and were so full of joy. Stella would cry if Charlie got ahead of her and he would patiently slow down and let her take the lead. As Stella would come flying down past us, her feet up and that little pink balance bike wobbling all over the road. She'd call "clap! Clap for me guys!" and we did. Stella saw a cat that she thought was a baby fox and Charlie convinced Hayley to drive him and his bike to the top of the hill on the golf cart because he was so worn out.
 On the way home Charlie suggested that we tell ghost stories-because Halloween is only two months away and it was dark outside. He continued trying to tell one amid my protests and Stella's screaming. Then we talked Halloween costumes and Stella suggested that we say a prayer so that Heavenly Father could make Halloween come sooner.
I just love them so much. I love our lives together and the way that they make me want to be better. I taught the lesson in Relief Society today. It was from Elder Christofferson about the sacred and vital role of marriage and family in God's plan. It is true. I know it is. And I love it

No comments:

Post a Comment