Mom informed Charlie that he was not allowed in there and then proceeded to flip the switches and try to get some power. Nothing worked. She called Dad, then eventually the resident handyman, Richard. Good for us that Richard shows up at the front door in 4.3 seconds. During that brief time I asked Charlie if he had pushed any buttons today. He said, "Yes. I turn on the water so I can play outside." I had no clue what he meant.
Richard checked everything out and flipped switches to no avail. Charlie called Richard "fixer" and followed him around with an old red Igloo cooler in tow-the kind with the handle on top. When Richard started removing the panels on the breaker box, Charlie settled in nearby...Igloo on its side, feet up on the cooler, elbows on knees, head in hands, observing everything.When the panel was removed, a lock that had been engaged to keep the power from being turned on was loosed and there was power.
We asked Charlie if he had pushed buttons in there and he replied, "Yes. I turn on a frinklers (sprinklers) so I can play outside." It only took us a little over an hour to get to the bottom of it. That boy is so mischievous. According to the spelling of that word, I've always pronounced it wrong. Dang.
I have given up on childproofing because I would never even think to childproof the things he gets into. A few weeks ago, he was discovered in the living room inside the glass curio cabinet. All the lladros and hummels and been lined up on the chair and he had closed the glass door behind him. That thing has been around forever. No child has ever even considered getting inside. I have never told him not to...it didn't occur to me that it would be an issue!
Right after the power ordeal today, Charlie looked up at my mom and said, "Nana, you are my grill. And Stella and Mommy. You are all my grills." How could you get mad at such a little sweetie?
He has been loving Blues Clues lately. He has started listing for me the things he would like ie. "toast, butter and a show" or "grapes, water in a sippy cup and a movie" Then he holds up four fingers and says, "those are three clues. Ok?"
Charlie watches shows on Netflix and he can maneuver pretty well. We've had to outlaw Power Rangers. Partly because there are some scary monsters, partly because he starts kicking and hitting, and partly because it's weird and annoying. He tries to trick us into going out of the room so he can turn it on. Cam walked through the other day and said, "Charlie are you watching Power Rangers?" Yep. "I really don't like this show." Charlie looked up and said matter-of-factly, "Well I do" then returned to the show.
![]() |
| This is what Charlie looks like when he's "explaining" |

I can't imagine Charlie being anyone else's kid but yours. I don't know if you were like that at all, but you two seem to fit so well. Maybe because you have such a good sense of humor about motherhood, or the fact that he is so dang funny and you are too. Whatever it is, you two definitely were meant for each other :) I wish we were neighbors so I could hang out with you and your little funny man.
ReplyDelete