Thursday, June 6, 2013

cats and dogs

   My children have been every level of awful lately. Since the sun stopped going down at a reasonable hour, these littles of mine have stopped going to bed. The logic is there-if it is light, we should not sleep. But Charlie hasn't napped since he was 19 months and Stella is taking remarkably short naps lately...so they are tired. I have all but given up getting them to sleep at a decent hour and Charlie hisses in my ear at 7:30am. Every. Single. Morning. By the way, have you ever been woken by hissing? In your ear? Nothing makes a person less bright-eyed and bushy-tailed than being hissed at. Nothing.
   Charlie's always had a spectacular pout and it has been out in full force lately. The day starts with pouting and hands on hips. He is constantly threatening to "get rid of you" or "then I am leaving to my room". I love that one.Then Stella wakes up and there is a glorious moment of happiness and hope. The two of them wave and greet each other as though it's been months since they last got together, they hug and say hi, then the fighting starts.
   I never imagined two such small people could fight so much or cause so much contention. They are both equally to blame. Stella is a tormentor. Charlie is protective of nearly everything (including wash clothes, garbage and ponytail holders....anything sister might be interested in touching). There is often spitting. They have this thing where they scream "no" at each other. It gets louder and louder until they are both sobbing. Or Charlie is sobbing and Stella is laughing. True. Or, Charlie thumps his sister. This results in Charlie crying in time out, Stella crying and sort of gloating, and me emotionally eating three bowls of mac and cheese last night after everyone was in bed.
   I thought I had years before the real fighting started, but they are outdoing themselves right now. Help.

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear--I SORT OF feel your pain about the its-light-out-so-I-won't-sleep thing. So I decided to put up really thick, black "curtains" (really just pieces of fabric tacked to the wall) to block out all light. Works like a charm! Ollie now takes naps! And putting him down at night, even when it's still light out, goes so much smoother. I know its not cute or anything, but whatever.
    As for the fighting…have another baby. Maybe the two of them will bond over trying to torture the third kid :) I give such good advice, huh?!

    ReplyDelete