I wrote this forever ago and just found it, unpublished. Surprisingly enough, it was just the reminder I needed today.
One night, just after the Olympics ended, Cam and I were watching some recorded events at my parents'. Cam loved watching the sprinters. He was enjoying a race, when they cut away and began broadcasting women's gymnastics. He announced that he hated watching gymnastics. I was shocked, frankly, as gymnastics was the only event I cared for in Olympics past. He explained that his distaste developed because of the scoring and commentating. I listened for just a minute and quickly understood.
They gymnasts essentially started with a perfect score, then lost points based on technical problems, routine violations or failure to properly point toes or lift knees. I'm no expert, but after a few moments of listening to the "expert" analysis, I was feeling a little down. There was occasional praise and acknowledgement of success, but it was fleeting. The bulk of the comments were about the little girls' failings. And all my untrained eye saw was strength, grace and fortitude.
The announcers compared each routine, each movement against perfection. After a series of astounding feats, they would try to find some faults-some "should haves" or "could haves". They would sketch it out on the screen, "you see? she should have been higher at this point. Right there...she let go far too late." It got me thinking.
At the end of each day, I have a few discouraging moments where I think, well, yes I did complete most of my "to do" list and I did read way too many books to Charlie and hold Stella for a solid hour while loading the dishwasher and paying bills...but I could have taken the kids to the park this morning. I really should have gotten up earlier and exercised before the kids woke up. I didn't brush Stella's teeth and Charlie's prayers were an afterthought after the lights were already out....I start to compare my day to the ideal one, the one a perfect Whitney would have had. Then the whole day seems like a wash.
The thing is, that life isn't about perfection. As my idol Julie Beck said in a relief society lesson a few months ago, "life is a series of experiences". We are learning. We keep striving to improve and because our experiences keep shaping us, we treat them differently as we progress through life. We become different people little by little. Heavenly Father loves his imperfect children. I don't think there are score keepers watching over us with little clipboards looking for moments when we were less than perfect. I think heaven and angels celebrate the good we do and rejoice as we are molded. And sometimes count it as a success when we simply make it through another day, then turn to the Lord for forgiveness and inspiration to begin again.
Our world is constantly bombarding us with images of the perfect life. We see the very best of everyone-the cleanest corners of their homes, their best recipe or most crafty idea. My natural inclination is to line up my day against the edited photos from facebook or the insightful and lovely family pictured on the blog. In comparison, mine looks pretty drab. I'm too chubby and can't seem to balance being the organized mom and the spontaneous, fun mom. I could continue, but won't. As is generally the case since becoming a mother, I worry about
protecting my children from this trap. This is what I think I want my children to understand:
We often forget that this life is a time of education and choices. There are some things we can do perfectly. Do them. Pay your tithing. Complete ordinances. Then understand that you are not alone in your quest. You are to progress. Line up your life with the Lord's will for you. Turn to him to guide you. Pray to him. Receive priesthood blessings. All of these good things will reassure you that you are loved. That you are His. That he wants to help you progress and change for the better.
Then read: This talk: ("Perfection Pending" Russell M. Nelson)
"We need not be dismayed if our earnest efforts toward perfection now
seem so arduous and endless. Perfection is pending. It can come in full
only after the Resurrection and only through the Lord. It awaits all who
love him and keep his commandments. It includes thrones, kingdoms,
principalities, powers, and dominions.
It is the end for which we are to endure.
It is the eternal perfection that God has in store for each of us."
No comments:
Post a Comment