Every night before I go to sleep, I go check on my sleeping babes. I make sure they're breathing and then I cover them with blankets and go lay down. Then I worry that they are too hot and I go take the blankets off and watch them sleep some more.
There really are no sufficient words to write about those feelings that are in my heart when I stop for a few moments and listen to their slow breathing and sweet little noises. I am so grateful that they are mine. I'm so grateful that they love me and that they know I love them. I'm grateful that they want to show me their tricks and make me laugh-all day long. I love to watch them play together and marvel at how sweet and smart they are. I am grateful that I get to be the one to hold them when they cry in the night and teach them about families and riding bikes and their Heavenly Father. I get to read them books and sing to them and let them play in the tubby for way too long.
Some days are long and hard. Some days I feel like I'm failing miserably as a mother, and some days I know I don't appreciate them as much as I should. But every night, as I snuggle them up and watch them dream, I realize all over again how perfect life is as their mama.
And every night when my heart is just filled to bursting with love for them and for their sweet daddy, I think, I've got to record this feeling somehow-so when they're all grown up, they'll understand. I try, but I never can do that feeling of joy and peace and...rightness, justice. So, little ones, someday, when you are watching your babies sleep, or holding them in the night, and you realize that you have everything you've ever wanted and so much more -know that I felt it too.
I loved this. I may have cried a little because this was so sweet. Being a mom is the best thing in the world. Hardly words to describe just how hard AND rewarding it is.
ReplyDelete